Sunday, January 10, 2010

Weekend Update

I often get in the habit of only updating with silly information, or more often then that, not update at all! I decided I should commit myself to blogging on Sundays. Sunday is a day that I like to use to relax, reflect, and reorganize, so what better a day to sit down and share a few thoughts with the world? So today it begins... my weekend update.

I have realized that while I am good at multi-tasking, I do not like to have too much going on at once. In college, it was a thrill. After graduation, it was necessary. However, I feel that now I very much prefer a simpler life. I like to keep myself focused. This has definitely helped with my anxiety and health issues I developed a few years ago. It is a shame that my body had to go to such extreme measures to get my attention, but, thankfully, I have finally learned. I am currently making efforts to keep a "healthy soul", as I learned about in my disciplines course. My areas of focus:

Physical: physical health has always been a struggle. I am finally in the habit of prioritizing rest. That's right people, I sleep! :) ha.
I have found a massage clinic that gives 1 hour massages for $25, so I will finally be able to partake in that portion of my recovery. My muscles are so tweaked from the crutches that I can not even attempt the lightest of strength training without feeling every inch of my body pinching. I am so thankful for massage therapy! I will start my sessions next week and begin light exercise in between. I should be back to a regular routine in February. Also, James and I have decided to start training together. Thanks to Couch to 5K, I feel that this won't be as scary as I have found it all before. :)

Spiritual: We are in the process of church hunting. This is often a frustrating time for me. I still am sorting out my feelings about church, and what I think that should be. However, I do feel it is somewhere that I need to be to even have a chance to find my answer. So the quest continues...

Social: I am far less social here but am finding it so much better for me. James and I put each other first, and we are having such a good time. He is my favorite person in the world, so this has not been too hard. :) I enjoy my time with new acquaintances, chatting with other families and nannies, and seeing my family. I am lucky to have friends who are so committed to staying in constant communication. I do not even care to make new friends right now. Life is quiet, and those still in my life are loyal and uplifting.

Mental: I am spending more time reading books, listening to NPR, and catching educational specials. My french program is on my laptop, and while I do not listen to it enough, it is a start. :) ha. I am also signing up for a prerequisite for a nursing program here. I will be taking 1 class per sessions (spring, summer, fall) to see how I do. If I still am interested after that, I will be applying for a Nursing degree in the fall of 2011. :) I am attempting to keep creativity alive and enjoy the beauty/joy of the everyday through my next 365 photo project. My brain is happy!

Emotional: This moved provided me with space and clarity. I have the opportunity for healing, and am taking it. I also feel that everything I have mentioned above has brought me to a place where I feel stable emotionally. (deep sigh).


Looking over this, it feels like a lot. However, for those who knew me well before, this is a huge step back from the fast paced life I was caught up in. I feel balanced. I feel free.

2 comments:

Alisa Marie said...

you know, i just found this... i guess a few days late!

It sounds great! I'm so excited for yoru new life and new priorities!

I have felt that way about the social aspects for years living here. ..i have all the friends I need, why do i need to get more?

I am super super excited about your nursing prospects!! (have i told you that?) (ok)

emily said...

i think that all of these are lovely things, and so good for the beast within! huzzah for taking time out to see what YOU need. that one thing changed my life completely. yay.