Monday, January 24, 2011

I am a wasteland

At times I picture my goals like little singing birds, flying over my head, reminding me of what I have set forth to accomplish. Most of the time their song is beautiful and brings excitement... other times (typically if I let them sing too long) they get hoarse and squawk most deplorably. Either way, I have a loud reminder to get up, get out, and get something done. This week, I effectively killed 2 birds with one stone. That said, I wish I had a better metaphor so the birds didn't have to die. Hmmm. I'll work on that...

I have finished Zombie Spaceship Wasteland, by Patton Oswalt. I have checked off my 3rd book of 30 for the year, and it was non-fiction to boot! The book itself was an easy read, amusing, and (as a good comedian should) it succeeded in recognizing the awkwardness and absurdity of our culture. I highly recommend it to anybody who enjoy a good laugh. (and knows how to get one without resorting solely to dick & fart jokes).

Saturday, I was able to attend my first author event, featuring... Patton Oswalt and the above mentioned book! :) Wee. The booksmith could not contain all the fans, so the event took place at the Coolidge Corner theater, which is quickly becoming one of my happiest places in Boston. Hearing my favorite chapters again, but with the impeccable timing and playful intonations used by Oswalt, made this event a real treat. I look forward to more events through the Booksmith.


Coming up for the rest of January:
Bookshelf: Jane Eyre
30x30: Start work on my French textbook.

No comments: