Saturday, January 8, 2011

2011 Book Challenge!

I recently joined Valerie Geary to participate in Steena Holmes 2011 Reading Challenge. I don't need a push to read, but sometimes it's good for me to have a goal with how much I want to read in order to pick up a book over the TV remote after a long day. I also have been trying to branch out and pick up different styles & genres, and previously set a goal to get good use out of my library card, so this challenge will help with that! :)

I encourage you to join me. Books=awesomeness.

My 2011 reading goal: 30 books. I was going to set the number a little higher, but I currently have a few thick classics on my list, so I'm trying to be realistic. :)

So far I have read:

1. The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
This book was... how to describe it... well, lovely. It's was unusual, creepy, heart-warming, painful, uplifting, hauntingly beautiful. I felt such a mix of emotions reading this book. I do not feel I can do this book justice, as I am not the most eloquent of people, so I simply recommend that you read it. Just make sure you aren't home alone on the nights you pick it up. :)

2. A Long Way Down - Nick Hornby
I am a huge fan of Hornby's work. My first experience with Hornby was High Fidelity, which has now become one of my favorite books. I know, me love a novel about a Brit who is obsessed with music... what are the odds? :) Since then, I have devoured most of his novels and essays This book is a playful story about 4 people who meet when they are about to commit suicide. Yes, I said playful. These characters make me laugh, roll my eyes, deeply, sympathetic... they are real. Their misery is real, it is easy to connect to. . A Long Way Down has a different feel to it than much of what I have read, but is still very ... Hornby. His dry sense of humor and clever observations brought a smile to my face. It was like catching up with an old friend, after being apart far too long. Sigh. Love me some Hornby.

I'm sorry these brief reviews are not better, but I am tired... and I have more reading to get to before bed. :) Good night!

7 comments:

Alisa Marie said...

you read both of those last week? crazy! I WAS reading lovely bones along side my students during SSR (Silent Sustained Reading) its 30 minutes of straight reading time, and the admin wants us to be reading too, not doing prep work. no complaints i get to read!!!

I digress. Anyways - somehow my copy walked away.

Alisa Marie said...

Oh and i just figured out that long way down is the book you gave me!!!!

Ok, now i need to put these both on my list this year!

Jill said...

Gosh if I could get one book read a year, I'd be doing good! When do you guys find the time?! Seriously!!! (Well, actually, Alisa, you just answered the question! Do you guys have SSR everyday?!)

Valerie Geary said...

Yeah yeah yeah! I'm so happy you're doing this!! I loved The Lovely Bones, though I think I remember weeping a little. And Hornby, oh Hornby, let me count the ways. I read A Long Way Down; enjoyed it; I think I need to read more from him. Mark Haddon's book A Spot of Bother kind of reminded me of Hornby. You should check it out some time.... :D

Moore Musings said...

Jill... I lose a lot of sleep to read this much. ha! It also helps that I'm naturally a speedy reader. :) I LOVE books. Oh so much.

Alisa, I think you will like A Long Way Down! Also, I guess it is semi cheating, but I started the Lovely Bones just before new years day. I was going to save it, but then I got sick. I'm still counting it though. :)

Moore Musings said...

Tomorrow I start Zombie Spaceship Wasteland. I'm excited :)

Jenny said...

I love this friend! I'm going to track your progress throughout the year! xoxo